This page has found a new home

The Dawn of Mobility

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: The Dawn of Mobility

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Dawn of Mobility

In the spirit of contradicting parenting advice, everyone told me that I would either (a) love when Will becomes mobile because he can entertain himself or (b) hate when Will becomes mobile because he will get into everything.


I'm just gonna go with YES.

At first there was a comedy of parenting errors that had me seriously considering buying the kid a helmet. I was all about helicoptering when he would fall safely on his bottom, and attempting to play it cool "no rescue" style when he proceeded to fall flat on his face. Now I get the whole mom guilt thing. 

A few weeks later, here we are.


Just trying to ruin our stuff one wobbly death-grip at a time.

For the most part, I love that he can happily entertain himself without any parental involvement. Notwithstanding the fact that I injured my shoulder doing a ninja roll in our living room yesterday trying to get him to laugh. You definitely have to supervise (see below), but it takes a lot less energy to reactively supervise than to proactively entertain. In my opinion.

While there are still a few bumps and bruises now and again, I'm mostly having to adjust and come to terms with the fact that nothing is safe. His two little fangs mixed with his acidic drool can cut straight through anything. I must know - what kinds of enzymes are in that drool of his that can tear through thick paperbacks like a knife through butter? It is an anomaly of the physical world, I tell you.


And he moved the little turtle walker over there to sit next to him . . . ? Best buds . . . ? I hope he makes the turtle his lovey because that would be the WEIRDEST. Talk about "grace-filled parenting" if I started letting him take the turtle into his crib. 

But SERIOUSLY what is it about dog bowls that attract crawling babies like a moth to a flame? I know I'm not the only one who wonders with a shaking fist to the heavens. He makes a bee-line straight for the water bowl every. single. time. I set him down and try and do a load of laundry. He can't wait to dive in head-first and start splashing around! But put him in the bath tub, and he immediately tries to stand up and get out. Only bacteria-ridden liquid for this little aquatics lover.

FURTHERMORE, why must he lick all the things the dogs lick? He seems to have a penchant for winding up with the one, single dog toy in the house in his mouth each time I turn my head. 

These questions, they need answers.

Babies. They are so weird.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At October 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Kate @ Daffodils said...

The dog food bowl...the damn dog food bowl.... and plugs. Oh so fun!

 
At October 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Hannah Gokie said...

Oh man he is getting so big! I'm also dreading/wanting Kate to start moving around...but we have some serious babyproofing to do before that hits.

 
At October 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM , Blogger Janine @ This Little Piggy Stayed Home said...

ohmigosh please encourage hugs and cuddles for turtle PLEASE

 
At October 24, 2014 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Kate said...

I remember when we did the MAJOR baby proofing for Jake - like eliminated so much danger and then I just barricaded him in the living room. It. was. awesome. LJ is MUCH less adventurous so we have done 0 babyproofing for her...I literally just say UhOh and she drops the power cord, this is awesome too.

 
At October 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Kallah said...

AHHHH!!!! he looks so proud of himself!!! Way to go Baby Will!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home