This page has found a new home

Wisconsin, America's Dairyland: A Photo Dump

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: Wisconsin, America's Dairyland: A Photo Dump

Friday, September 26, 2014

Wisconsin, America's Dairyland: A Photo Dump

This week little Will and I got to accompany husband Will on a recruiting trip to Wisconsin. Basically, the USAF paid for gas and the hotels, so why not take the opportunity for a little family time? We loaded up the car Monday afternoon and headed north. Neither of us really knew anything about Wisconsin going into it, so color us surprised that we ended up having a really great time. Wisconsin is a pretty cool place that we definitely wouldn't have made the effort to visit otherwise. The following is a photo dump documenting our trip, so scroll and skim as you wish.

Madison


We arrived in Madison Monday night, and after checking into our hotel, we headed downtown to a local spot called Graze. 


And experienced cheese curds for the first time. Heaven.


While little Will HATES (I mean . . . HATES) the carseat, he otherwise does really well with all other aspects of travel. Here he is fresh and fancy-free after a great night's sleep in the hotel. 



Will had to speak at the UW ROTC detachment Tuesday morning and then conduct informational interviews at the law school all afternoon, so little Will and I headed to the zoo. 

I dressed little Will up in his monkey outfit and took pictures of him with the gorilla.


I should really be stopped. 


But I won't. Never.


Mr. Gorilla gave us the cold shoulder, which is fine because . . .

We were walking away from the lion's den, just the two of us, when we heard loud roaring. I thought it was fake. Maybe it was a recording indicating they were about to feed the lion or something, I don't know, but I decided to turn around and walk back. Lo and behold . . .


It was the real life lion all like, Hey get back here. 



Staring at us so intently, she was literally fogging up the glass.

This was definitely one of those amazing memories I'll have where I experienced something cool just because I was with my kid. I mean, there's no way I would have been at a friggin' zoo if I wasn't with little Will. And he won't even remember it. But I got to hang out with a lion, just because I was hanging out with my baby. Priceless memories, people. I also met up with some Internet friends from this forum, so I should probably also be thanking Mary Clare and Heather, because they're the ones to suggest a zoo visit.

After the zoo and lunch, we were kind of just killing time. I walked and walked and walked all around campus. (The zoo is right next to the campus, so we walked everywhere. Including up this GIANT hill that overlooks the water. Yeah, a lake. I didn't know there was a lake in Madison, WI either.) Will and I hung out in the law school lobby for a bit while we waited so he could crawl around, you know, without eating dirt or grass or cigarette butts. I just kept thinking to myself how very different my life is since was the last time I set foot in a law school. Over here lugging around 20 pounds of books rather than 20 pounds of baby. 


The campus Mall is right outside the law school. Thus, a UW selfie:

"Go badgas."

Little Will even picked me this lush bouquet. Ever the thoughtful son.


He later tried to eat it. 

When Will was finally finished with interviews, we headed out to dinner at the Ale Asylum Brewery (obsessed with their Belgian Style Ale called "Kink") and then set our sights toward Milwaukee.

Man in uniform carrying a chunky baby. A very attractive combo, if I may say so myself.

Milwaukee

Just your typical classy drive-by stadium pic:


Will again had informational interviews at the Marquette campus. And, once again, little Will and I had lots of time to kill. Luckily, there are plenty of places to get your Catholic nerd on at Marquette. We started at the Church of the Gesu. We couldn't get into the upper church, but judging by the lower church, I'm sure it's amazing. We hit up confession, my first one with little Will strapped to me, who started waking up just as soon as I kneeled. Quite possibly the quickest confession I've ever had. I then tried my hardest to get into the upper church, but found that every door was locked, and I just went to confession, so I wasn't trying to do some breaking and entering. Maybe next time . . . before confession.


We went to Starbucks for a PSL because white girls in the Fall cannot be stopped.


There were obviously a couple Marquette selfie fails:



And then we ran into Blessed Mother Teresa while we waited for the St. Joan of Arc Chapel to open. I was like Mother Teresa, I am also mother Theresa. Pleased to meet you.


She didn't think my joke was funny.


Then we made it inside the St. Joan of Arc Chapel. It's a medieval chapel that was transported from France by way of Long Island and reconstructed on campus.



Then there were more cute baby on campus in the Fall pics to be taken. What can I say?



We ended our Milwaukee visit in Bayview (I think what the area is called---I just follow wherever Yelp! takes me) at a little restaurant called Cafe Lulu, where, naturally, we tried more local beer!

This one's for Tess



After dinner, I got a milkshake at a little ice cream shop across the street and had the best whipped cream I've ever tasted. I'll never be able to enjoy any other kind of whipped cream ever again.

Then we drove the 6 hours back home.

The end.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At September 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Hannah Gokie said...

I giggled at those pics of baby Will in front of the gorilla in a monkey suit. Too funny.

 
At September 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Kate said...

I love the rhythm of your photography: baby, baby w/mom, baby w/dad, brewery, repeat.

(Pack n play pic is the bomb.)

 
At September 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Haha yes my hub is from Wisconsin and it was an eye opening experience for me, taking many many trips there but I loved it too, too ba you didn't get to hit up the sights and sounds of the ol Green Bay!
Also love the monkey suit, and I think mother Theresa woulda laughed at your joke!

 
At September 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Green Bay is wayyy north, but I did see a woman with a Packers ankle tat while in Madison, so, same thing, right? ;)

 
At September 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

I think every mom needs a monkey suit in her diaper bag, just in case. Just saying.

 
At September 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Grace Hincapie said...

Theresa, I have recently discovered this little corner of the internet and I think this is my first time commenting on your blog. A virtual "hello" to you! I love reading about your experiences of having a husband in the USAF. My father was also in it. And that little chunkster of a baby is adorable! Look forward to reading future posts!
-Grace

 
At September 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Thank you, Grace! Glad to have you ;)

 
At September 26, 2014 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Janine @ This Little Piggy Stayed Home said...

I just asked Francis (through tears of laughter) "Is this not as funny as I think it is? Am I just deliriously tired?" He confirmed it is very funny. You are very funny.

 
At September 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Harriet said...

My comment was eaten!

I lived in Madison for 6 years before moving to Dallas, and all your pics made me miss the city like crazy. I follow you on IG, and when you posted the pic of the lion at the zoo, I literally wondered out loud if it was at Vilas. I love that little zoo, I took the kids I nannied for there at least once a week for a couple of years. Glad you liked WI! :)

 
At September 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Rylee Kenney said...

Found your blog through Lauren Scharmer and have been following for a few months now. Seeing the monkey suit made me realize that I had to comment! I mean the instagram was great in the front yard but bringing it to the zoo? Perfection! He's going to grow up and roll his eyes at you for that one, but always hold on to the fact that it was totally worth it! Maybe just for me?

 
At September 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Scharm-dawg!!! ... Little Will has lots to roll his eyes about (e.g., this entire blog), but hopefully he sees it's all done out of love.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home