This page has found a new home

Sleep Trained

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: Sleep Trained

Monday, August 11, 2014

Sleep Trained

Will is TDY all week, which means I'll probably be seeking solace in blogging frequently over the course of the next few days. (TDY stands for Temporary Duty(?) Assignment---where the Y comes from still sort of confuses me---which basically just means Will is in Alabama again for more training.) So here I am, because, you know, instead of blathering to my husband directly, I get to do it through this here blog! That's in addition to my other TDY staples of not shaving my legs and eating the same thing for every meal to clear out the pantry/avoid going to the commissary. (Last time it was pancakes, this time it's pasta.)

Right now I need to give a huge shout out to Lauren for rescuing me today. Little Will is in this phase where he (a) loves to be entertained, (b) gets quite cranky if you're not energetically entertaining him, (c) is appeased only by being picked up and carried around, (d) squirms happily in all directions upon being picked up, and (e) oh yeah, weighs 20 pounds. And, NO, he will not be worn in a carrier. Fuggetaboudit. 

It is an exhausting thing. 

So as I was saying Lauren came over and held/fed/entertained said squirmy/spirited/fat baby while I threw together a dinner of pesto pasta (duh) and any and all vegetables found in the fridge and pantry. She's a real catch. 

Anyway, the title of this post is such a teaser, eh? Because guess who is sleep trained?!?!?!?!?!???!


Him? No, not him. 


Nope, still not him.

I'm referring to myself.

You see, baby Will did not need to be sleep trained. He just needed his CRAZY MOTHER to stop rushing in to rescue him at every peep so that he could actually get some shut-eye. If that broad would just allow him a minute to re-settle, he would keep sleeping. 

Once I decided to "sleep train," the longest he cried was 12 minutes. I did two checks total the first night and the next night he slept 11 hours straight without a peep. And naps are so much better. He had a 1.5 hour nap and a 2.5 hour nap today, so that I could bill some hours for my side gig. 

I mean, really, Theresa? Chalk it up, once again, to inexperience. 


"You really don't know what you're doing, do you?"

Fine, maybe I'm jinxing the whole situation and he will wake up tonight, but really, the fact that he's night weaned is pretty significant in and of itself. In the irrational fog of sleep deprivation, I thought the day would never come. I straight cackled when the pediatrician mentioned we try to (whilst baby Will passed all the gas his little pooper could muster). We are a veritable duo, we are.

Now if I could just figure out how to train myself to keep up with the 34 peekaboos, 38 itsy bitsy spiders, and 57 pat-a-cakes per diem William Hugh requires, then---I tell you---then we will really be in business. 

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At August 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

My hubby is TDY this week too. And like you, I'm eating the same meal over and over. He had me make a double batch of tuna salad so that he could take some with him, and then he forgot it. So I have a whole boatload of tuna in my fridge that I don't want to go bad! Maybe I should work on sleep training this week too. It worked great with our first. But we didn't do it with our second because she was sick all. the. freaking. time.

 
At August 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Julia Harrell said...

I hear you on the constantly waking the baby up every time he peeps! We got a video monitor (even though I used to make fun of people for having them) and it has helped so much because now if he cries out I can look and see if he's just making noise, before my over eager first time mom self goes barging in there and wakes him all the way up.

 
At August 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Ellen Johnson said...

Ditto the video monitor! I have one in both my kids' rooms like a complete neurotic mom but it helps with the sleep so much!

 
At August 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Mary Helen said...

We are in the process of night weaning clare and then she got sick. Bah. Horrible timing. Damian was so easy just like Will-- took him one or two nights of crying for a few minutes. Clare is a whole new ball game and I don't even know what to do with her. I'm hoping night weaning convinces her to just sleep. We've kicked her out the bed and that doesn't seem to be helping much. Ohhh well. As with all things it's just a phase. Enjoy the sleep though!! I remember when I got my first full night of sleep with Damian it was like I woke up a new person.

 
At August 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM , Blogger Kallah said...

I know! Temporary Duty Yougotthis!
And man, he is such a good baby!

 
At August 15, 2014 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Anne B. said...

We were co-sleeping, and waiting to move him into his crib until he started waking up less. That is, until one too many close calls with falling off the bed. And so Isaac got kicked out. He went from waking up 5 times a night to 2. Who knew we were the problem?

 
At August 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM , Blogger Tess said...

Oh my gosh, that little man of yours is darling! Great photos! What camera do you use?

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home