This page has found a new home

6 Months

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: 6 Months

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

6 Months


I'm back to amaze you with all the important baby things. Not just any baby things, but Baby Billy Brez things. Like how Will's back cracks a lot when I pick him up now. It never happened before! I'm not a doctor, but this has something to do with his growth and bones and such, I'm sure. Now at your next dinner party, you can offer information that baby's backs start to crack around five months old! You will be the life of the party. 

Will actually has had a lot of milestones this past month, which---fret not---I am going to discuss at length. Let's get rolling.


6 Month Well-Visit Stats:
  • 19 lbs, 10 oz. (83rd percentile)
  • 26.5 inches long (57th percentile)


Other Appointment Highlights: Blowing raspberries at the pedi, farting during important discussions about night-weaning, and not flinching during his first vaccination shot (though he briefly cried after the second shot). 

You see why he gets away with such behavior.

Eats: 

He is pretty much on a 3-hour schedule to a T during the day. His first feeding is at 6:30 or 7 in the morning and we just go from there for the next 12 hours. As such, I moved the BabyConnect app from my home screen and have not touched it since. It was a big day. He's also consistently nursing on both sides nowadays, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's so easy not to have to flip him, but it's also nice not being Lopsided Lolly all the time. 

We started solids and so far, Will is a phenomenal eater, as seen on the gram. Carrots, apples, bananas, and pears were a huge hit. He was pretty lukewarm about peas, which upsets me deeply. As evidence, consider this blog post from over a year ago where I discuss my strange love of peas. That said, I don't understand why I don't have a broader audience. The content on this blog is top notch. He's also had cantaloupe, watermelon, and bites of other random stuff here and there when we are out to eat (ice cream, French onion soup, black beans, etc.). I've been using our Beaba Babycooker to make him purees. Love that thing.

Right now, he gets a solid meal once a day, about 30 minutes to an hour after his 4 o'clock feeding, so it's straight from the high chair to the bath.  

I think it goes without saying, he doesn't miss any meals.


Sleeps: 

He's consistently taking three naps a day, sometimes four if he needs a late afternoon catnap thanks to an early wakeup time. He'll typically have one good nap a day that is around 1.5+ hours long. He's juuuust starting to consistently give me two hours of awake time between naps. He's able to go three or more hours between his last nap and bedtime for some reason. (Not that I don't try to get him to take one last nap.) 

His bedtime routine is much more relaxed than it was a few months ago. He gets his bath around 5:30pm when Will gets home from work and he gets cozy in his PJs and spends some time with dear old dad. Then around 6:30, I'll take him upstairs, draw the curtains, turn the sound machine on, feed him one last time, and walk around with him or rock him for a few minutes and he's out. Just like that.

I'm very back and forth about whether to night wean. Between 6:30pm-ish bedtime and 6:30-ish wakeup time, he'll typically wake up twice. On a good night, only once, on a bad night, three (or, like last night, he just doesn't go back to sleep for a loooong time after a feeding thanks to a 4am poop sesh). I always just feed him because he goes back to sleep easier, but I'm probably just creating a bad habit. Big Will has a work trip planned soon, and I'm toying with the idea of weaning/sleep training for the week that he's gone.  

That section was very boring and I apologize. Stay with me. I talk poop next. THE BEST PART.


Poops: 

Last month, I was all super shocked that he went a couple days without pooping. Well now, it's his regular! I was worried about cloth diapering and gross solid food poopys, but really when he's only pooping once every other day, it's a breeze. I'm only doing cloth diaper laundry once every two or three days now. He has to wear a disposable at night because he's a pretty heavy wetter, but it's really nice not to have to change him at all. 

Oh, and he officially needs privacy when he poops. It's fantastic. He will not poop while you're holding him anymore. He has to be in his walker, his Bumbo, his crib, or a stroller. It's hilarious when he's in his walker. He leans forward, grunts, and his forehead turns a little purple.  


Segue to more cute photos . . . 






Other Miscellaneous Milestones:
  • He can use a restaurant high chair. 
  • He grew out of his baby tub, so baths are in our normal bath tub. 
  • He enjoys screeching at the top of his lungs, specifically in very echo-y cathedrals.
  • He sits up unassisted (!!!!) . . .


     . . . though not perfectly, I'll admit.


     . . . we'll work on that whole posture thing somewhere down the line.


And it is with great sadness that I share the loss of our dear rat tail. 


Let's take a walk down memory lane . . . 


Snuck a peek at 2 months.

 
At 3 Months and 4 Months.


And hanging on for dear life at 5 Months.

We'll miss you, old friend. 

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At August 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM , Blogger Victoria said...

Will's cuteness/awesomeness and my own strongly held opinion of peas compel me to comment on this post.

Will is one of the cutest babies on the internet. Well done! I was mesmerized by the sequence of him rolling over. Well done, again!

Please don't ban me from reading your blog for saying this, but I absolutely HATE peas. At Monticello, Jefferson's bedroom display features a silver dish full of (fake) peas. The guide when I visited a few years ago highlighted the peas, noting they were one of Jefferson's favorite foods. I thought it was really weird that his favorite food was celebrated so prominently, and in his bedroom and not the kitchen or dining room, but that's cool. Actually, it's not all that cool. Seeing those fake peas in his bedroom made me question my love for Jefferson, which is saying a lot, since I went to a high school named after him and a university he founded. Peas are quite polarizing, I guess!

 
At August 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Victoria said...

Um, I hate that I'm even sharing this, but, apparently, Jefferson's love of peas is significant enough to deserve its own page on the Monticello website (http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/fun-fact-peas).

Gross.

 
At August 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH he is killing me with adorable chunkiness! He is so full of joy! The rat tail memory lane is way too funny. You have the most hilarious writing style that literally makes me laugh out loud sometimes! Also to Victoria above -- I was just at Monticello a few days ago. Small world!

 
At August 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

He is so cute! And the fact that he needs privacy to poop is hilarious!

 
At August 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ok. The pooping thing is hilarious. Mostly because my son will just stop what he is doing and push. Usually among a crowd of people or at a family gathering. Poor thing becomes the main source of entertainment... Maybe Will could teach him something about privacy ;)

 
At August 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Caitlin said...

Oh man, oh man, he is so adorable!!

We sleep trained both of our little ladies at six months, but they were in the "take forever and a day to fall alseep" camp, which sounds a little different from Will's situation. Just go with your mama gut!

 
At August 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Kallah said...

I just love that boy!! I have to meet him soon!!!!
The end of an era, indeed. So glad you devoted some appropriate time to that. Shedding a tear of sympathy over here... babies grow up too fasttttt!

 
At August 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Thank you! I aim to please!! And document every banal aspect of my child's life. #momblogger

 
At August 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Haha! But I bet it's so cute!!!

 
At August 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Mary Helen said...

I.just.want.to.squeeze.him. Please... can we set him and Clare up and just have a chunky, chubby baby fest?? haha

 
At August 12, 2014 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your writing is so funny! I thoroughly enjoy every little thing you document! Also, love peas but had them on a pizza for our anniversary a few weeks ago and... Yeah not the place for peas. Also, the baby back cracking thing! So wierd but happening for us too, yay chub buster babies!

 
At August 13, 2014 at 11:35 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

This comment made my day! Thanks for the kind words and, of course, i think I can support a pea-free pizza world.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home