This page has found a new home

Fall Recipe Roundup

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: Fall Recipe Roundup

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Fall Recipe Roundup

There's just something about Fall that makes me want to spend all day in the kitchen. Part of it is probably that Will can happily occupy himself while I am either cooking or doing dishes. Sadly, he mysteriously does not behave this way when I am sitting at a computer.

PicMonkey had mustache graphics and I just could not resist.

Without further ado, here are some of my favorite fall recipes that keep the oven toasty during the cooler months.

Tyler Florence's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup


First off, I'm always roasting chicken. I use the meat for various recipes throughout the week and then make my own chicken stock. It's THE BEST.

Then, I use the Tyler Florence recipe, only I use about 12 cups of chicken stock, the whole bag of noodles (12 oz.) and about 4 stalks each of carrot and celery.

You can never make too much chicken noodle soup.

Pioneer Woman's Perfect Pot Roast


When I was pregnant with Will, I would buy the little individual serving bottles of wine just for this recipe, and then finish off the last bit of it as a treat to myself. Nowadays, I'm sure the big bottles will do just fine.

Cream Cheese Chicken Chili via To the Heights

We had this last night because I dropped the ball and forgot to take chicken out of the freezer to thaw. I cut her recipe in half and we still have enough leftovers for Will to have lunch the next day. Her double-sized recipe is just a little too much creamy goodness for our Crockpot.

Easy Bread via Romancing Reilly




I make this bread all the time. I break down the recipe into thirds to make an individual loaf fresh each time we want some. The triple batch is just TOO MUCH bread and since there are no preservatives, the mold typically gets to it before we do. 

1 C lukewarm water
1.5 t yeast
1.5 t coarse salt
2+ C flour

Combine and let rise for a few hours. Knead in quarter turns and let rise on pan for 40 minutes. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes.

Ain't nothing like fresh-baked bread.

(We also use this recipe for chicken pesto pizza and other homemade pizzas.)

World Market Spicy Tortilla Soup

This is another recipe that I make when I don't want to think too hard about what to make. Add extra veggies to feel better about yourself!

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies


Originally taken from this recipe and then adapted by the wonderful Kallah in such a way that makes you feel healthier about your life, and then adapted again by me.

1 C canned pumpkin
1 C pure maple syrup
1 stick melted butter
1 egg
2 C whole wheat flour

1/4 C all-purpose flour (optional)
2 t baking powder
1 t ground cinnamon

1 t pumpkin spice
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 T vanilla extract
2 C semisweet chocolate chips


Combine pumpkin, syrup, butter, and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients and slowly add to pumpkin mixture. Here, I typically add about 1/4 C of all-purpose flour to thicken it up a little more. (When you're working with syrup rather than sugar, things have a tendency to be a little more gooey.)  Stir in vanilla and chocolate chips. (I take a couple scoops out without chocolate chip to feed to the beast known as my son.) Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.

Whirley Pop Kettle Corn



Yes, I've blogged about the kettle corn obsession before, BUT! BUT! there is a life-changing update here. USE COCONUT OIL. The flavor is perfection.

Whirley Pop on the stove at medium.
Add 2 T of coconut oil. (omgomgomgsogood)
Put in 3-4 kernels and wait for the pops.
Add 1/2 C kernels.
Wait for more pops and add 1/4 C sugar.
Crank until popping slows.
Add salt to taste.
EAT THEM ALL AT ONCE!!!


Any recipes you totally forget about during the summer and just LOVE once cooler weather hits? Do share!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At October 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

But our house mates moved away and took our (their?) popcorn popper! No fair!!! These look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

 
At October 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Patty said...

Okay I have been looking for a mean pot roast recipe...saving this post for the next grocery trip! :)

 
At October 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I eat the baby instead? He just looks so yummy!

 
At October 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Rosie said...

I loooooove that pot roast recipe. One of my all-time favorites! And I happen to have a pot roast in the freezer... Yup, that's making its way into the rotation this week!

 
At October 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Ahh! You must order a new one! So worth it.

 
At October 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

The bread! So easy! Hope to make it soon! And, we've been making that exact popcorn and I it is officially my favorite snack! So delicious!!!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home