This page has found a new home

Whirley Poppin', Lockin', & Droppin'

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: Whirley Poppin', Lockin', & Droppin'

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Whirley Poppin', Lockin', & Droppin'

Reporting live from my first true day of funemployment. Am I bored out of my mind yet? Not quite, but time will tell. I already made the terrible mistake of visiting LinkedIn over the weekend to update my (un)employment history. Seeing everyone else's employment accomplishments brings out the competitive beast in me that few things ever can, for example: (1) collegiate lacrosse, (2) someone running next to me on the treadmill, but worst of all (3) law school. It really made me wish I could start pursuing my next career opportunity. Luckily, one of my best law school friends/big law associates reminded me that the grass is always greener on the other treadmill. I'm back to counting my blessings.

And so, in an effort to truly bore you to death, I come forth with an ode to kettle corn. I know I never post recipes, but kettle corn has a special place in my heart. It is a relatively health-conscious way to qualm the salty/sugary cravings and it helps me consume tons of water in the process. In other hackneyed sayings, it's a win-win-win. I find myself consuming large amounts when I'm either training for a marathon or building a human. Both are times when I am ravenously hungry and need a lot of extra water in my diet. 

I love ya, KC. 

Do you own a Whirley Pop? If not, go buy yourself one. For $25 it pays for itself eventually because kernels are so dang cheap. At the University of Miami, there was a Farmer's Market every Wednesday that would charge $5 a bag for kettle corn and $8 for two bags. You could smell it all throughout the halls of the library. It was intoxicating. With a Whirley Pop, with $5 I can make thirty bags of the same dang thang. So, this is a PSA for Whirley Pops everywhere. Also, I like saying Whirley Pop. 

All you need is a Whirley Pop, a little bit of oil (any type, really), 1/2 C of kernels, 1/4 C of sugar, and salt for one full batch. I highly prefer that fancy-type sea salt, but that's just me watching too much Barefoot Contessa.

The elaborate instructions:
  • Put your Whirley Pop on the stove at a low medium-high. 
  • Add a bit of oil. Twice around the bottom.
  • Put in 3-4 kernels. They will pop when it gets hot enough to add the rest. Then add the rest.
  • Crank the Whirley Pop a few times to coat the kernels.
  • When you hear more pops, add your sugar.
  • Keep crankin' away until the pops start to slow. This is important. When they start to slow and it gets hard to crank, take the Whirley Pop off the heat. 
  • Add salt to taste.
  • EAT THEM ALL AT ONCE!!!!

And some pictures for the visually needy: 








I want to eat my computer screen right now.

This batch was conquered in about fifteen minutes.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOOOOOOOOVE my Whirley Pop. The popcorn tastes SOOOOOOOOOO much better than that chemical bagged stuff at the store. And you don't have to wash the Whirley Pop, which makes up for the laziness of bagged popcorn.

 
At September 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

I've only ever made kettle corn in mine, so I have to wash it each time because the sugar hardens! But no clean-up is a huge motivation to make traditional popcorn! And I'm telling you, the night before a long run, eat popcorn with a huge glass of water or two and you will be ready and hydrated for the following morning! It was a pre-long run ritual for us :)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home