This page has found a new home

Postpartum Running, Take 2

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: Postpartum Running, Take 2

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Postpartum Running, Take 2

Time is blazing by as usual and I am about to be the golden 6 WEEKS POSTPARTUM, which means I'll [hopefully] get the all clear to start exercising again. 

Let's all pray that I can get back to it with this much panache:



Don't worry. I'll probably wear pants. No guarantees.

Last time, in true first time mom style, I wanted to show EVERYONE just how NOT FAZED by childbirth I was, so I went and ran 3 miles at 4 weeks postpartum. I was SO SORE for the next few days that I kind of freaked out and googled too much about prolapse (don't do it… don't do it) and took it easy until after my 6 week appointment when I was deemed fit for exercise. I've never been one to listen to my body, but that was more ridiculous than usual, even for me. 

But I got an Aria Fitbit scale for Christmas—don't worry, I asked for it—which lets me know that my BMI is obese at 26.6. I know, I know. I just had a baby, but the weight on the scale has pretty much refused to budge as well. With Little Will's pregnancy, I gained about 15 pounds more more and the number on the scale continuously dropped over that first month postpartum. This time? Not so much. It was all probably water weight, I got real swole, but it's still annoying to see the scale not moving. SURE, I eat ice cream every. single. day., but I'm BREASTFEEDING. The weight is supposed to FALL OFF OF ME, RIGHT? 

So here I am at 5.5 weeks postpartum (much more reasonable than 4.5 weeks, right?) and I am just itching to get back in the game. It's way too cold to take out the BOB Duallie occupying half the garage, so I am relegated to weekend runs outside or the treadmill. (I did take the Duallie out for a walk recently when it was unseasonably warm and HOLY HELL that thing is heavy to push with two children inside of it! So many props to Sarah for her blazing fast Duallie paces.) I also have a gym membership at the local Y which has a childcare room, but Little Will HATES being left there; they would always come find me to retrieve him within an hour when I was huffing and puffing on the treadmill during my third tri, reading self-help books that made me feel inadequate. And I'm not quite ready to expose Zelie to the petri dish of winter germs. 

This one, on the other hand?


Proudly packing on those pounds. 

Labels:

11 Comments:

At January 23, 2016 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Ellen Johnson said...

I understand feeling the itch to get moving and drop those pounds, but 26.6 is not obese, it's overweight, and since overweight starts at 25, you're just barely over the cut off. AND YOU JUST HAD A BABY! And the bmi is stupid. But that's just my opinion. ;) I say, in this year of mercy, give yourself some mercy, mama! :)

 
At January 24, 2016 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh friend! Dont hurt yourself!
And zellies hairline...! Awwww

 
At January 24, 2016 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh friend! Dont hurt yourself!
And zellies hairline...! Awwww

 
At January 24, 2016 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Haha! Here's hoping it grows back blonde like her big bro :)

 
At January 24, 2016 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Kallah said...

I am laughing at you for "obese"... but I do feel your pain. The second was much MUCH harder for me to lose the baby weight for too! Ugh. Not fair.

I am hoping the third isn't any worse :/.

 
At January 24, 2016 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Well at least when the toddler is awake, I'll be in a constant state of caloric burn ..... (Assuming I'm not stuffing my face with French fries that is)

 
At January 24, 2016 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

Obese over here too, 5.5 MONTHS out. I feel ya girl. But did you know breastfeeding majorly jacks that BMI number? Because your body is retaining all kinds of fat and, um, liquid. My trainer at the gym scratches her head every time we look at my numbers, but my clothes are getting looser and my muscles are getting stronger, so the data is pretty irrelevant at this point. Also, once lamented my lack of breastfeeding burn online and got a slew of "me too's!!" from all over the internet, so I think the nursing-as-weightloss shtick is mostly bs or urban legend, inspired by Gwyneth Paltrow.

 
At January 25, 2016 at 9:17 AM , Anonymous Andrea Sconzo said...

Theresa, I love reading your blog! Thank you for keeping it real and sharing your experiences. From a first-time mom-to-be balancing work life, home life, and mom life soon.

 
At January 25, 2016 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

Thank you and CONGRATS! You'll be great :)

 
At January 25, 2016 at 11:44 AM , Blogger Hannah Gokie said...

Ugh, I swear those people who say breastfeeding burns calories are just liars out to make moms feel bad. But I definitely get the itch to get moving again!

 
At January 26, 2016 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Julia Harrell said...

I feel like I'm annoying myself with the, "OMG, me too! Are we twins?" thing. But. Yes. I went running 4 weeks postpartum last time, which I would not advise. Of course, I am now almost 8 weeks postpartum and haven't run yet because 3 feet of snow makes that challenging. Please God let it be gone by this weekend so a girl can run! The pounds are not really slipping off this time and I'm tired of being fat.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home