This page has found a new home

Babies in suits, feminist rants, & that water tower that looks like a butt (7 QT)

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: Babies in suits, feminist rants, & that water tower that looks like a butt (7 QT)

Friday, April 25, 2014

Babies in suits, feminist rants, & that water tower that looks like a butt (7 QT)

1. Jen Fulwiler's book Something Other than God is being released next week. Today, she announced that there will be a prize for the Most Epic Selfie Holding the Book. Yesterday, I discovered the craze that is #babysuiting.


You can see where my mind is headed. I ordered the e-book, so it won't be all that ideal, but be on the lookout on Insta anyway. 

2. I recently updated our "About" page. Friends, send me your feedback. I always feel like I am being too short and forgetting something, or just trying to be clever and not being clever, you know what I mean?


Elisabeth, my blog muse, I'm looking at you. Text me your thoughts for reals. I'd love to make it better.

3. This week was week 1 (of 22) of marathon training.


So far, it's going decent. I'll have a whole post with times, struggles, and updates, but on the whole I'm holding it together. One week down, 21 to go.

4. I've always considered myself a feminist, even though in, like, a hipster counter-counter-cultural way. (Obviously mom blogger just screams feminism.) But Simcha Fisher hit the nail on the head with recent piece "Yes, we still need feminism." She wrote: 
. . . Yes, some evil people call themselves feminists, and do dreadful things in the name of feminism. So what?  People do dreadful things in the name of democracy, and people do dreadful things in the name of beauty. People do dreadful things in the name of Christ our savior. That doesn’t mean we abandon the name. That means we rescue it, we rectify the misuse. 
When I call myself a feminist, I don’t mean that I break out in a cold sweat when McDonald’s asks me if I want a boy toy or a girl toy in my kid’s happy meal. Some people use “feminism” to mean “being upset all the time” or “getting revenge on men” or “stamping out everything that makes women seem feminine.”  So what? I don’t use it that way. Neither did John Paul II.
As my Grandma Nolan would say, "Amen, sistah Lou." The foundation of feminism is not about contraception, abortion, or even women in the workforce, it's about respect and the dignity of women. Simcha makes a strong case for reclaiming the feminist movement, but check out her post and read some of the comments. Really interesting stuff.   

5. Any House of Cards fans out there? I love me some political drama, but I'm just not sure if I can find the redeeming quality of this show a la Breaking Bad. We're on the second to last episode of the Season 2, aka the weirdest episode ever, and I'm still trying to figure out whether I like the show or not. So far the only objectively good aspect of the series is that it features my hometown stomping grounds of D.C. and Baltimore, and, more importantly, there is an entire episode devoted to the GAFFNEY PEACH. Belmont Abbey is located about 40 minutes from said peach and my sister graduated from Limestone College located in Gaffney, so I drove past the peachoid many a time in college.

Memories. (Source.)


I guess I'm just waiting for something very bad to happen to the Underwoods . . .

6. And now, because I have stuff to do, I'm going to cop out and just link you to Kendra's excellent post today in defense of Catholicism without comment. I've recently dusted off my Catechism (HA! It's an e-book version, so I totally made a funny joke without you realizing it), so I have this renewed zeal for the theological foundations of our faith. But you kind of have to be a lawyer to read it---so dense, you guys---and Kendra puts things in laymen's terms in the best way. I kind of love her. 

7. Go. Just go. Get off this rotten blog thing I've created.

Linking up with Jen on this very fine Friday.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Hannah Gokie said...

Oh my gosh. #babysuiting is now officially my favorite thing. Thank you for sharing - I'm hoping we have a boy now so I can do it too!

 
At April 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

As a self-proclaimed feminist, I must note that girls can rock the power suit, too. Just sayin'! ;)

 
At April 30, 2014 at 7:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Will pull his hammy while being tased? Because that would be a great story. :)

 
At April 30, 2014 at 10:11 PM , Blogger Theresa Breslin said...

HAHA! He actually pulled it playing football while we were in town! Everyone thought he was faking so that he could sit next to us. He has a scar from the taser tanking!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home