This page has found a new home

Postpartum Running, Four Weeks in

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: Postpartum Running, Four Weeks in

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Postpartum Running, Four Weeks in

As we are staring down the barrel of a move to SoCal, I obviously need to be bikini ready year-round, so I'm hitting this postpartum weight loss thing hard! 

Going almost as hard as this guy:




He's so cool. 

Flashbacks, anyone? 



Anyway, you know that's a joke. The bikini thing. My standards are much lower, like having clothes that fit semi-properly again (you know, spare tire troubles), and to be fit enough to keep up with the kids. In the physical, literal sense. Cuz I can only use terms like "fleek" and "TURNT" ironically nowadays. 

So here's where we're at:



Since starting to exercise again, I've been squeezing in runs three times a week between the BOB, the gym, and the treadmill in our garage. And I have ten pounds to go on the weight loss front (slowwwwly and steadily making progress… peaks and valleys, peaks and valleys). 

Finding time to exercise with two kids is hard. Like, wayyy harder than with one. At this point after having Little Will (we were a little farther getting into Spring), I was already running 5 milers and training for a marathon. Ugh, I was so annoying. Go away Theresa from two years ago. I will note that the we didn't make it to the marathon due to an ill-timed TDY. TDYs are just the worst!

But once the weather gets a little nicer, I think it will be a lot easier to increase my mileage per week. I will take the kids out in the Duallie with anything greater than 45 degrees and anything less than 20 mph winds. Unfortunately, that bar has not been met on most days. Illinois, y u so windy? And how is it STILL February? 

On Monday, however, 45 degree weather and mere 15 mph winds meant that I ran 2.5 miles with the Duallie and both kids fell asleep in the stroller and BOTH STAYED ASLEEP for OVER AN HOUR after we got back home. 

!!!!!


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Will insisted on bringing his mailman truck and his dad's golf glove that he likes to wear around the house. I know I'm a broken record, but toddlers are so weird!!! Boy do I love 'em. 


So I kept them both bundled up in the garage like that, ate lunch, and did various chores until they both woke up. Will's lips were blue for a while (oops) but I think he got over it.


The Duallie is SO HARD to push against the wind. I was able to maintain a decent just-barely-under-10 minute mile pace with the thing for those 2.5 miles. BUT, I ran with just Zelie in the single BOB and flew through 4 miles with no problem. So the extra work is paying off. Some day I will keep up with Sarah's Duallie filled 7-day step count. ;) Dream the BIG dreams, people.

I've considered workout videos at home or other classes/programs to get in shape and I'm just all, that takes too much mental energy! In addition to figuring out which bra won't be too tight or too loose (#nursingproblems) and whether everyone is fed and accounted for, I just can't. I need to be able to strap on some shoes and run for as long as I can for as hard as I can and call it a day. Can I get an AMEN? 

When Zelie gets a little older, I'll be more comfortable taking her to the Y childcare room. I can obviously head to the gym at night after everyone is in bed or in the wee hours of the morning, but WHO HAS THE ENERGY. Sleep > Fitness. Until then, 3x a week is actually going pretty well. I feel so much stronger already! Sweet sanity!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At February 25, 2016 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! You are doing fabulously!!! I'm sitting 6 mo post pardum and realizing I need to start moving my butt if I'm going to have any shorts to wear this summer. Ha. Ha. Ha.
But really. Great work! and I'm missing your daily snaps. Easter season will be a happy time :)

 
At February 25, 2016 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

Sounds like you're rocking it! I remember having to time exercise perfectly after nursing so that my bras would fit at all :)

 
At February 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Emily Elizabeth said...

You are my inspiration! Running with a doalie! Whoa! :) Also check out youtube HasFIT they have some great like 20 minute videos that are really good and the bonus is your kids can just stare at you while you do them or try to do them with you which is hilarious.

 
At February 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Julia Harrell said...

AMEN! Running = most efficient workout plan ever. Of course, my postpartum running is nonexistent thanks to winter but soon! Soon! Also, sub 10 minute miles with the Dually?! You go mama!

 
At February 27, 2016 at 4:54 PM , Blogger Rosie said...

Um, that dip in the graph after you had Zelie is AMAZING. What a feel-good weight loss, right? You're way more motivated than I am... I stepped on the scale the other day and realized I'm 5 lbs over my usual weight and realized *that's* why nothing fits right! Guess I can't justify the nightly ice cream anymore ;)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home