This page has found a new home

7 Quick Takes: PCS and the Move

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin The Brez Blog: 7 Quick Takes: PCS and the Move

Friday, November 15, 2013

7 Quick Takes: PCS and the Move

After quite the hiatus, I'm linking up with Jen over at Conversion Diary.

1 - Will received his official orders yesterday, which is a proverbial weight off our chests. Basically, in order to arrange anything in the military, you need this magic piece of paper in your hands. Now we have to navigate the shipment of our things, travel arrangements, housing, etc. As lawyers, we are literally trained and conditioned to read wordy documents and fill out paperwork, but we find ourselves scratching our heads constantly. This PCS ("permanent change of station") stuff is like a huge puzzle of acronyms that must be slowly pieced together. That's just the federal government for you. I haven't put together the big picture. 

2 - I think I am in for a rude awakening once I'm a real life military spouse. I don't know, but there is a formal military spouse orientation. A formal class on how to be a military spouse? This fact alone intimidates me. I have visions of it being a boot camp, where I'm derided for making eye contact with a general or not being able to sing the National Anthem in under two minutes. I'm sure it's just normal things like how to shop at the commissary or use the on-base gym, but what can I say? The idle mind wanders.

3 - The majority of my time (when I'm not reading birth stories or trying to figure out PCS) is spent checking out the surrounding neighborhoods by the base. I'd like to know exactly where the closest Starbucks is located and its proximity to my future home, church, and workplace. (It's 15 minutes away from base, but close to World Market and their supply of Cheerwine, so I guess I'll survive.) 

4 - With orders in hand, I can begin applying for my Illinois bar license. Illinois has a rule to temporarily admit military spouses with licenses from other jurisdictions while stationed in the state. On the one hand, this is fabulous because it means I don't have to study and sit for another bar exam. (I don't hate the idea, but it's time-consuming and costly.) On the other hand, all the legal jobs are in St. Louis, which, if you didn't know, is just across the state line in Missouri (pronounced, Mizzouruh, if you didn't know!). Most jobs require a Missouri license, if not a MO/IL dual license. So, in effect, I don't know how helpful an Illinois license will be to me. Oh well, can't hurt.

5 -  This weekend, Will's mom and aunt are throwing me a baby shower! Nan has gone borderline out of control with the Pinteresting, so I'm sure the shower is going to be a hit. Be sure to check back Sunday (or, more likely, Monday) for all the pics! 

6 - Jen posted today that she will be announcing her book title and posting the cover . . . on Monday. Raise your hand if you think the cliffhanger is too much and she should just post it later today. And if you are confused as to what I'm talking about, click over to Conversion Diary, read her post, and then raise your hand in agreement.

7 - And just like that, I'm out of takes and out of patience because I'm most definitely hangry. It's lunch time, you guys.

Have a great weekend, all!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Wow! Lots of exciting changes heading your way!

 
At November 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Anne B. said...

Native St. Louisan here...only the yokels say Mizzurah, everyone else says Mizzuree. Good luck with the move!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; they truly make my day! I typically respond by email, but if your email is not linked to your account, check back here for a reply.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home